There is no doubt in saying that meditation is one of the best activities to calm your mind and relax your body. So if you also want to practice it but you are confused about where to start, then follow these simple steps.
You just have to find a place where no one will disturb you and start focusing on your breathing. Also, keep everything that can distract you, out of your reach, so you can meditate properly. Apart from this, you should also choose the right time to meditate.
However, most people prefer meditating in the early morning, so if it is possible for you, then you should also try to meditate early in the morning.
These were the main things that you should keep in mind if you are new to meditation. So if you are interested in learning about meditation in a more detailed way, then stick to this article.
Here are you will get all the important information that will help you start your meditation journey. Now before jumping into the other advanced things, let’s talk about where you should start meditation.
Which Posture is Best for Beginners?
Most beginners have this question and they keep asking about what posture to use. Well, the simple answer is that you can use any posture you like. It totally depends on your convenience.
The basic rule of meditation is that you should be in a comfortable state. This means you can meditate in any posture you feel comfortable and relaxed.
Now you don’t have to complicate things, you can simply place a mat on the floor and sit on it. To make it more comfortable, you can use a cushion or pillow for support. (Check here some designs – Aff.link)
Apart from this, you can also sit on a chair or lie down on the floor on your back. However, some people say that lying down is not a good idea to meditate, but that’s not true at all.
You can meditate in whatever position works for you. The only suggestion is that you should try to be as aware and as possible and if you are lying down, just make sure not to fall asleep.
Best Place To Meditate
Choosing the right place is very important. And you should always look for a quiet place as it will help you focus properly. It doesn’t matter whether you want to meditate outdoors or indoors, just make sure the place is quiet and free of distractions.
It could be anywhere, you can either meditate on the lawn or in your bedroom. In case, if you are meditating in a room, then the room must be properly ventilated and have a balanced temperature.
Though if you are serious about meditating, then you can also create a specific meditating place for you.
You can improve your meditation experience by placing some candles, incense, or anything that inspires you. Create a playlist of soulful music and vibrations as they can help you relax better.
Along with this, yoga mats, timer, meditation cushions, and a light jacket are some other things that you may need, so make sure to keep them in the room.
Read also our article: Warnings about Meditation (Precautions and Negative Side Effects). – Opens in new tab
Ideal Time To Meditate
As mentioned above, you should always fix a time when everything is quiet. But if you talk about the best time for meditation, then it is 1 hour before the sunrise. Most yoga experts consider it the ideal time for meditation. So, if possible, you should also perform your daily practice at this time.
Now the sad part is that most people have a busy lifestyle and it’s very difficult for them to get up this early. So if you are also one of them, then here are four other best times when you can practice meditation:
• Right After Waking Up– If you can’t meditate before the sunrise, then you should try to meditate right after waking up. As you know that your morning rituals set the entire vibe of your day, that’s why meditation is the best thing to start your day with. After you wake up, you should freshen up your body and before breakfast, you should execute your practices.
• On The Lunch Time- You can also mediate in your lunchtime as it is a great way to relax your body, so you can work better. It can also boost your focus and productivity, which are very important to perform well
• Before Sleeping- If you are dealing with any sleep-related problems, then you can also meditate before sleeping. Now you should not connect mediating with sleeping. While meditating, you should be fully active and aware of your senses but if you do that properly, then it will help you clear your mind, and you can sleep more peacefully
• Whenever You Feel Stressed- Meditation is done to relax the body and clear the mind, so you can practice it anytime you feel stressed. It doesn’t matter whether it is day-time or night-time if you feel like doing it, then you should. There are no fixed rules and it depends on your needs and preferences
How To Meditate
Now some of you might have questions like how we should start meditation and what is the right way to meditate. Well, there are several techniques that you can use to meditate but if you are a beginner, then you should start from the basics.
So here is the simple basic meditation that you should practice before jumping into the advanced basic techniques:
- The first thing you have to do is to sit comfortably in mat or cushion
- Now lose your body and close your eyes. You can also consider using an eye mask or pillow to get more comfort
- Breathe naturally and don’t try to control anything. Just focus on natural breathing and observe where you feel your breathe the most.
- Then take a deep breath, pause for 1 second, and exhale. Do this for two minutes and follow your breathe and observe your body movements. Just make sure to concentrate on your breathing and whenever you feel distracted, shift your focus back to your breathing
This is the best routine that every beginner should follow to develop a better understanding of what meditation exactly is. If you do this properly, then you will notice how busy our mind is and how many thoughts run in our subconscious.
Follow this routine for some time, and once you feel that now you have a better focus, you should jump on the advanced practices.
Different Types Of Meditation
After following the basic routine for some time, you should start incorporating these techniques in your meditation sessions. All these techniques are very powerful, so make sure to choose one that suits your needs:
Concentration meditation is one of the most popular types of meditation and it involves concentrating on a single object or point. It is very simple to perform, you just have to follow your breath, repeat a word, or listen to a repetitive song.
Your main aim should be focusing on the object as long as you can. Though if you are a beginner, then you might be able to perform this for a few minutes, but don’t give up and keep extending the duration.
Body Scan Meditation
This mediation technique encourages you to scan and analyze your bodies and find the tension areas. The main objective of performing body scan relaxation is to find the tension and allow it to pass and release. In this meditation technique, you have to visualize a wave running all over the body to release tension.
This technique can help you be calm and relaxed and it may also help you deal with different types of pain, which is the main reason why most people practice it before sleeping.
Mindfulness Meditation allows you to dive inside your body and observe your ongoing thoughts. Now the main rule is that you should not judge those thoughts and get involved with them.
You just have to be aware of them and let them pass away. If you do it regularly, then it will develop your inner balance and you will be able to identify how your thoughts move in particular patterns.
How Much Meditation Per Day
Now after talking about the basic and advanced things, the main question arises is that how much meditation per day. According to different health and yoga professionals, everyone should meditate for at least 20 minutes a day.
This is the recommended dosage but if you are a beginner, then you should start with 5 minutes a day. However, some people meditate for hours, but you should not force yourself to meditate for longer durations. Just practice regularly and increase your duration gradually.
Though it seems very easy to meditate, in the starting days, even 5 minutes would feel like hours. So start slow and increase gradually. The best thing about meditation is that even if you do it for five minutes with full dedication and concentration, you will get amazing results. The only suggestion is that you should try to as consistent as you can.
♦ If this article resonates with you, please join our newsletter by using the forms on this website so we can stay in touch.
Featured Image by EnergieDeVie from Pixabay